Accéder au contenu principal

#task1 - Module 2



Alain Platel. 

When I discovered his work, my whole world collapsed and crumbled, my belly, my soul got crashed. How on earth could this exist and how on earth had I missed this?

2007, back from a party very late at night, I turn on the tiny tv I used to have and watch ARTE. A woman is dancing, stumbling, ‘stuttering’, she is very skinny, uncomfortably skinny, it is uneasy yet intriguing, her movements seemed to speak the language of her tormented soul or at least, tormented body. 


A dance that wasn’t just about the dance, a dance that seemed to go beyond the body, an embodiment of what’s beyond. Humanity. Its tragedy. 

This is what I long for, Art that confronts. 


I have always been curious and attracted by avant-gardistes, Dada, Fluxus.. Chris Burden, La Monte Young. Something in what they did seemed off but was essentially ‘just/right’ to me. 


Once I had discovered the existence of Alain Platel’s work and whenever I could, I religiously attended each of his performances. I moved to London the year after and Sadler’s Wells was his home here in the UK. I know the work divises because it confronts. 


The piece that moves me the most and that is THE piece to me is ‘En avant, marche !’. 


The bodies he shows are not the beautiful expected ones. The movements neither. 

Even his background is unexpected: he did not train as an artists nor a choreographer, he worked as a remedial educationalist with physical and mental disabled persons. 

As an artist, he is self-taught. 

By doing, he has been learning. 

The experience taught him more than a formal academic training. 


As a dancer, I relate to this and this is probably why, on top of absolutely loving his work, I have this bizarre affection for this man I have met once only.


In 1993, he presented ‘Bonjour Madame…..’ one of his first pieces in a city where, by chance the IETM network was that evening. The whole delegation came to see the work and the rest was history…huge success, bookings all over the world.


I watched ‘Nicht Schlafen’ some years ago. One his latest piece. I usually step a foot in a theatre to watch his work knowing (having decided?) that I will, no matter what, love it. That one did not do it for me. I could not understand why. I felt bad not having gotten it, after all, I am a big fan??!!! A couple of weeks later Sadler’s organized a discussion/conference around this piece and I decided to go in order to dig the why and the what and the how of my strange sensation. 

The answer flipped my reception of the piece and got him higher in the esteem I had of him (1. sorry, that does not sound very english-right! 2. I did not know I could place him higher, he was already god-high): he had challenged himself. 


He was more than 60 y.o. and had decided to challenge himself. 

Huge respect, taking risks and reinventing yourself as an artist is somehow, the hardest. You could love everything you have ever worked for if the risk you take does not work out the way it should!! 


The challenge must not have been easy, I can see where he challenges himself and I realized that I was not looking at a piece, but I was looking at a process. This made me feel closer and deeper to his work. 


Uncertainty. 


Another aspect of his work is that, it is highly political. 


The example of ‘En avant, marche !’ with the representation of a suffering Europe ‘ Europe is present in the production’s music, its languages (Spanish, Italian, French and English are spoken), in its literature (Pirandello’s text is a blueprint for the show’s main character), its dance (clearly rooted in contemporary avant-garde dance genealogies) and, most importantly, in its choice to position centrally the European brass-dance heritage and repertoire’


The most radical political act of the company is that it does not tour to Israel. It works with Palestinian dancers, Israelian too - but their position about the Israeli government is clear, transparent and known by everyone. 


The bodies, cultures and stories represented in his works breaks boundaries and is democratic. 


Today, he has stopped creating and has teamed up with another company.. So that his legendary Les Ballets C de la B has now become La Geste. 


I admire how he manages to transform things. 


He started off his company in 1984. Nearly 40 years ago. And reflecting on this, I remember that it takes a whole life to become an accomplished artist… and that even after 40 years, there are still areas to explore, develop and keep transforming. 


Alain Platel is a real inspiration. 

Probably even… the only one to me within the dance world. 







Levy, C. (2011) NAC Dance with Cathy Levy. Alain Platel, choreographer and Director, les ballets C de la B (3/3) [Podcast]. Available at: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/nac-dance-with-cathy-levy/id333655103?i=1000091857461 (Accessed Jan. 7 2023)


Cools, G., De Vuyst, H., Stalpaert, C. (2020), The Choreopolitics of Alain Platel’s les ballets C de la B. Emotions, Gestures, Politics. London: Bloomsbury Academic. 

Commentaires

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I haven't actually encountered his work so I'm looking forward to diving in. I love your point about the artistic life span and I agree that it is a continuous journey which sometimes as artists is so hard to accept! We always want our best work to be this work, the current work, and in fact that is subjective to those who witness it and the time period and the geographical zone etc. It's a great reminder that if my work is not it's best today that I have tomorrow and that if it's the "best " today that we don't need to try and replicate this admiration for the next work but rather challenge our own ego to really just create whatever challenges us. Thank you for sharing this!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. His work is so great! I was mentoring a young dancer a few days ago and they said they were interested in the process rather than the product and we had a very interesting talk encouraging them to think around whether the product can still be in process... I wonder if that's something every work can find - I feel like as you describe it, it requires a real boldness, or at least requires someone challenging themselves to linger?

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

#3 the (unquestionable?) question of the Art

  I guess I got lost in translation. But I did use the word "Selfishness in the creative process" once. Maybe "self-centered-ness" might be more what it is. The act of looking at what you make through your eyes, with your guts, as opposed to through the constant feedback, and the "I would have" conversations I have stopped listening to for my sanity. I believe I am a sort of selfish maker. Not with my collaborator who I highly and genuinely care for. But for the people outside the studio. In that sense I agreed with Olga. The question of the Art being necessary though. mmhm.  Then comes the sharing of the work. THE moment I love the most.  Then, the work slips out of my hand, of myself and becomes everything and everyone's.  In that sense, I believe there is not a less selfish act than sharing something you have sweat for. You have gathered the money, the team, you have the mad courage of making and sharing. From the cave of "selfishness/self-cent

#task 3 - Module 2

This course is inclined toward qualitative research methods. Write about your thoughts on positivist and non-positivist approaches. How do you reconcile yourself to a non-positivist position? What experiences in your past inform how you feel about these two positions? Include your thoughts on embodiment and Cartesian dualist’s mind / body divide. Relate this to your own practice and your professional experiences.     These big words scare me.  Positivist approach; scientific and fact based.  Art experience/training is necessarily subjective.  I keep questioning what I do, its legitimacy, its impact, its necessity even. So my understanding  of it is constantly changing. And so is my practice. My approach to movement today is far from what it was 8 years ago. It is deeper and just-er. Like; I have dug and entered the world that I wanted to explore a little more.  I am uncovering it as I am digging.  I am creating it as I am digging.  There is still so much more to unpack and to discover.

The liberating act of surrendering to not knowing

  I grew up in a very big family of Italian immigrants in the North East of France. Family reunions were loud, cheerful. We would sit at the table for hours, eating, singing. My grand father would play mandoline and sing the same songs over and over again. But the loudness. And you HAD to be louder, quicker, more alert than you relatives to survive in this group of people! I believe this shaped my learning style.  No time to think or to overthink. In a family who had to re learn a language, a culture, there was no time for taking the time. Action was their salvation, their pride. My mum and her 8 brothers and sisters would all have careers in jobs where their "hands" were needed. My dad and his 2 relatives, the same. Although there was a tendency for the imagination, the poetic (the mandoline played a role in that). My dad studied Fine Arts and my his brother is a guitarist. They both taught, drawing and music.  The least you would have to speak, the better. It amuses me real