Accéder au contenu principal

#task 3 - Module 2

This course is inclined toward qualitative research methods. Write about your thoughts on positivist and non-positivist approaches. How do you reconcile yourself to a non-positivist position? What experiences in your past inform how you feel about these two positions? Include your thoughts on embodiment and Cartesian dualist’s mind / body divide. Relate this to your own practice and your professional experiences.  


These big words scare me. 


Positivist approach; scientific and fact based. 

Art experience/training is necessarily subjective. 


I keep questioning what I do, its legitimacy, its impact, its necessity even. So my understanding  of it is constantly changing. And so is my practice. My approach to movement today is far from what it was 8 years ago. It is deeper and just-er. Like; I have dug and entered the world that I wanted to explore a little more. 

I am uncovering it as I am digging. 

I am creating it as I am digging. 

There is still so much more to unpack and to discover.
I accepted this was going to be the journey of my life. 


Years ago, when I was researching around cancer and genetics, I asked a scientist about the link between a specific cancer and genes. They said very surely that no, there was no link. When I pointed out that 3 members of my family had had this extremely rare cancer the scientist looked aside, took a deep breath and said ‘Well, you see. There are still so many things we don’t know. So. This… we don’t know’. What I found interesting is that the person was first, categoric. But when a group of people’s experience brought a slight doubt to them; they landed back to reality: we only know what we know. 

How do we know that what we don’t know, is not. 


What would be a synonym for non-positivism? Negationism? Nihilism? Negativitism?


I wonder. 


« Doubtism» ? 

I love doubts and I love not knowing. 

« Let questions emerge » is a sentence from last session I wrote, underlined and circled. 

« Questions lead to more interesting questions »

I believe in the power of digging and the endless discoveries and pathways research offers.

But I also feel safe and released with a pragmatic fact / knowledge / discovery. 


I do smile thinking about the happy mariage of the two; I have been collaborating with scientists and philosophers to inform and feed my work for the past 6 years. A journalist lately asked me « how do you link all this together, so many different practices, directions? »

The practice. My artistic practice is the result of that marriage. And I have a feeling that my inquiry will be so too! I am digging thinking brain, animal brain, artistic practice, maybe even midwifery… 


How can positivism and non-positivism co-exist and co-feed a research? 


How can body and mind co-exist and co-feed a life? 


This leads me to question the duality between the mind and the body. 

My body often knows better than my mind. 

I did believe they were dislocated, one had betrayed the other, one had been estranged from the other. My words did not heal me, but my body did (cranio-sacral therapy saved my life - and I weight my words writing this). 


I remmener often feeling nauseous when I reconnected to the material reality. I would look at the tree in front of me and thinks: I am here, I am. The matter around me would root me into life, time, into my flesh even. But I could see the tree with my eyes and there is a clear physical phenomenon happening here. This phenomenon got me to sense and from my own flesh / matter, I travelled into the realm of the spiritual. 

Yet that spiritual realm is very real too. It is my brain. 

Hang on. Does my spiritual life sits in my brain? But which brain? 


This is something I develop within my practice and my classes: disconnection from the thinking brain. 


I want to quote one of my collaborators' essay The Human and the Octopus by Philosopher Thomas Stern (UCL). 

This sentence resonates so much with my practice and my beliefs (and I encourage you all to read this essay, it's passionating) 

There is the ancient, religious idea that man is the unhappy combination of beast and god: if only we were divine, we would be liberated, immortal spirit; if only we were beast, we could be content in our instinctive ignorance.


Do animal think? Probably not. They feel. Yet, they are. 


Uncertainty echoes with movement. Uncertainty IS movement.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing (Socrate).  


Dance is not fixed, a performance, a gesture will never be done the same once. 


Where do I stand?
I oscillate. In my body. 



T. Stern, The Human and the Octopus (2011)https://thepointmag.com/examined-life/the-human-and-the-octopus/ 


Commentaires

  1. So beautiful to read as always. I love love love the 'But which brain?' question and everything around who knows what within our complicated human/animalness. I'm reading around gathering sensory data, and especially discussions around data collection and research ethics with people with profound and multiple learning disabilities (which I won't do for this research project). I just thought about it with your theme of disconnecting from the thinking brain. I'm maybe hoping to do something similar in disconnecting from the linguistic and connecting to (or at least making space for) the sensory (very much from Joanna Grace's research around Sensory Beings) - maybe it will be interesting to compare notes at some point!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. It would be lovely to compare notes and chat about this!! Absolutely! I like that you mentionned the sensory. I feel like I'm looking for the flesh, the meat, the inside. But the inside is touch, right. Mmh. Let's chat!
      I just watched the Ethic Session - thanks for checking it was recorded!! :)

      Supprimer
  2. Hi Lea, This has really sparked a lot of thought in me thank you. I was thinking about how I usually say that I agree with the positivist approach when in medical settings. However you reminded me of an experience related to covid where a professional also just said to me we are dealing with an unpredictable, unknown disease so we don't know. I think about how frightening it was to hear that when I reflect on this now. Positivism gives us a feeling assurance where as non-positivism requires a certain level of trust to sit in that uncomfortable place of unknowing. What does the discomfort that is so often felt I think when there are no instant answers, or maybe no answers at all say about humans and society in general? It feels that the development of google and our ability to reach for answers at the click of a button must be having an impact on humans wanting this sense of control over every aspect of their lives?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. You are right. When so many information (and knowledge?) is at hand, what are we able to let go of? And accepting that there is no knowledge on something, is already something and is in itself an answer, right? Like, it's not nothing, it is something filled with not much. mmh...

      Supprimer
  3. Love this perspective! I can absolutely see how your inquiry, after chatting about it, is completely related to this. So great to see that all come together. I feel that notion of the not knowing very much. It's the more you know the more you don't know saying come to true form as I do this MA!

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

#3 the (unquestionable?) question of the Art

  I guess I got lost in translation. But I did use the word "Selfishness in the creative process" once. Maybe "self-centered-ness" might be more what it is. The act of looking at what you make through your eyes, with your guts, as opposed to through the constant feedback, and the "I would have" conversations I have stopped listening to for my sanity. I believe I am a sort of selfish maker. Not with my collaborator who I highly and genuinely care for. But for the people outside the studio. In that sense I agreed with Olga. The question of the Art being necessary though. mmhm.  Then comes the sharing of the work. THE moment I love the most.  Then, the work slips out of my hand, of myself and becomes everything and everyone's.  In that sense, I believe there is not a less selfish act than sharing something you have sweat for. You have gathered the money, the team, you have the mad courage of making and sharing. From the cave of "selfishness/self-cent

The liberating act of surrendering to not knowing

  I grew up in a very big family of Italian immigrants in the North East of France. Family reunions were loud, cheerful. We would sit at the table for hours, eating, singing. My grand father would play mandoline and sing the same songs over and over again. But the loudness. And you HAD to be louder, quicker, more alert than you relatives to survive in this group of people! I believe this shaped my learning style.  No time to think or to overthink. In a family who had to re learn a language, a culture, there was no time for taking the time. Action was their salvation, their pride. My mum and her 8 brothers and sisters would all have careers in jobs where their "hands" were needed. My dad and his 2 relatives, the same. Although there was a tendency for the imagination, the poetic (the mandoline played a role in that). My dad studied Fine Arts and my his brother is a guitarist. They both taught, drawing and music.  The least you would have to speak, the better. It amuses me real