Accéder au contenu principal

reconnecting

 


I have managed for the first time in my life to properly disconnect over Christmas. 

It was one of the first time I was not jumping straight back into a tour or a creation so I guess that helped. Chickenpox helped too. 

I had a hard time reconnecting gently. I did reconnect, but violently, harshly, brutally. Like; I had forgotten what the struggle of being a mid-scale maker is: making work and touring it. You have funding, but not enough. You do not have no money, but you do not have enough of it. 

I have read The Creative Habit (Twyla Tharp) and I loved it. It reconnected me. 

It reconnected me with kindness and warmth to the essence of my practice: creating. 

When I mentioned that I needed to be on my feet more, I should have said, in my head too. I want to move out from my belly in order to be more rooted to the ground (serenity) and to connect more to my thinking brain (academic léa hello). I need to come out of myself more.

I need to challenge my beliefs or to really research about them. 

I need to move my sensations, my beliefs from my belly to my feet and to my head. 

I need to be more pragmatic in my writing, my use of quotes, my words. 

I realise that when I make time and space for the MA, I enter a safe and warm bubble. I sit on my couch, the house is quiet. I read. I am at my computer and I type, fingers connected to my belly, fingers that will be connected to my feet and to my head more. 

I love that bubble. This MA really is the opportunity to look back and to look forward. 

I want to cultivate this serenity, this chance, this luck. I feel lucky. I cannot wait to properly dive in Module 2. 


Commentaires

  1. This is so lovely :) My bubble is almost the opposite… but you provoked me to consider what and why that is. But I can really echo feeling lucky and excited about that space and what it offers.

    I work in my local cafe and library, I thrive off the gentle loudness of these spaces. It’s also the first time I have become a ‘regular’ somewhere - which I enjoy a lot. And I love that when I finish working I can say goodnight to someone and then walk home.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I love that! Yes it is quite the opposite! Once the kids are dropped off at school and nursery // and I love that feeling of belonging to a community, I do have it strongly but outside, outdoors, in front of the school entrance, in the nursery's elevator, in my street.. then I hide, the house is quiet, I sit on the sofa (which I NEVER do) and I read. When I finish working, I can say hello to someone(s) and welcome them back home. :) <3

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Glad you managed to rest a little over Christmas although it sounds like you were still very busy with the family! I have been experimenting with this 'MA work space' more lately. Finding I work a lot better at the library when I have not got my home distractions around me. I definitely like a quiet space but sometimes enjoy having people around me in that space who are also working. I love this feeling of evolving and listening to what is needed each day for me to work productively.

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

#task 3 - Module 2

This course is inclined toward qualitative research methods. Write about your thoughts on positivist and non-positivist approaches. How do you reconcile yourself to a non-positivist position? What experiences in your past inform how you feel about these two positions? Include your thoughts on embodiment and Cartesian dualist’s mind / body divide. Relate this to your own practice and your professional experiences.     These big words scare me.  Positivist approach; scientific and fact based.  Art experience/training is necessarily subjective.  I keep questioning what I do, its legitimacy, its impact, its necessity even. So my understanding  of it is constantly changing. And so is my practice. My approach to movement today is far from what it was 8 years ago. It is deeper and just-er. Like; I have dug and entered the world that I wanted to explore a little more.  I am uncovering it as I am digging.  I am creating it as I am digging.  There is still so much more to unpack and to discover.

#3 the (unquestionable?) question of the Art

  I guess I got lost in translation. But I did use the word "Selfishness in the creative process" once. Maybe "self-centered-ness" might be more what it is. The act of looking at what you make through your eyes, with your guts, as opposed to through the constant feedback, and the "I would have" conversations I have stopped listening to for my sanity. I believe I am a sort of selfish maker. Not with my collaborator who I highly and genuinely care for. But for the people outside the studio. In that sense I agreed with Olga. The question of the Art being necessary though. mmhm.  Then comes the sharing of the work. THE moment I love the most.  Then, the work slips out of my hand, of myself and becomes everything and everyone's.  In that sense, I believe there is not a less selfish act than sharing something you have sweat for. You have gathered the money, the team, you have the mad courage of making and sharing. From the cave of "selfishness/self-cent

The liberating act of surrendering to not knowing

  I grew up in a very big family of Italian immigrants in the North East of France. Family reunions were loud, cheerful. We would sit at the table for hours, eating, singing. My grand father would play mandoline and sing the same songs over and over again. But the loudness. And you HAD to be louder, quicker, more alert than you relatives to survive in this group of people! I believe this shaped my learning style.  No time to think or to overthink. In a family who had to re learn a language, a culture, there was no time for taking the time. Action was their salvation, their pride. My mum and her 8 brothers and sisters would all have careers in jobs where their "hands" were needed. My dad and his 2 relatives, the same. Although there was a tendency for the imagination, the poetic (the mandoline played a role in that). My dad studied Fine Arts and my his brother is a guitarist. They both taught, drawing and music.  The least you would have to speak, the better. It amuses me real